Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cooked potatoes tossed in spices, dipped in a chickpea batter and deep fried. Serve piping hot with ketchup or Green Chutney. Source: syvumdotcom
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 green chilies, chopped fine
- 4 garlic flakes, crushed well
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
For the batter
- 2 cups gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- salt, to taste
- oil, to deep fry
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the green chillies and crushed garlic and fry on medium heat for about 2 minutes or just till the raw smell of the garlic is gone. The garlic should remain white in color.
- Add the potato cubes, half the turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well whilst mashing half of the potatoes with the back of the ladle on medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix in the coriander leaves.
- Shape the mixture into lemon-sized balls.
- Mix together the gram flour, red chilli powder, remaining turmeric powder, bicarbonate of soda, asafoetida powder and salt to taste with water just enough to make a thick batter.
- Dip each ball in the batter, then deep fry in hot oil in batches on medium flame until light golden brown in color.
- Remove onto a paper towel to drain.