Recipe by Gingerbear
Prep. time does not include the time to refrigerate the hot sauce for the flavors to blend well.
Top Review by Coastal Cook
I use the same breading recipe as this but use equal parts flour and cornmeal. Loved the hot sauce!! I did add a little tabasco. The sauce went very well with the oysters. Thanks!!
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper
- 2 dozen oysters, shucked and drained
- oil (for deep frying)
For Hot Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (or half mayonnaise and half sour cream)
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, preferable freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- white pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the ingredients for sauce.
- Cover closely and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- Mix the cornmeal with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge the oysters in cornmeal.
- Deep fry in batches in oil heated to 375 degrees for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately, with hot sauce.