Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
We love oysters, and this is the way we love them best. Crispy brown and tender.
- 2 lbs fresh oysters
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- oil (for frying)
- Rinse oysters, and cut any that are too large in half.
- Mix well the flour, egg, salt and pepper.
- Should be like pancake batter.
- Add more milk if necessary.
- Heat oil to very hot, (375) in a large skillet.
- Dip oysters in batter, let drain a few seconds.
- Carefully drop oysters in hot oil.
- Fry for about 4 minutes, until golden brown.
Maybe I did something wrong, but I thought these turned out a little 'gummy'.
I have not tried this yet but I suspect that the reason the reviev of January 28/ 2003 was unfavorable is that the milk was not included in the flour mixture. I hope I was of some help.
I tried this recipe for dinner tonight, the oysters were absolutely delicious! The breading was perfect, enough to be crispy but not too much to take away from the flavor of the oysters. Thank you!