Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
What can I say but YUM! Crispy crunchy tasty onion rings. I like them as a side with steak or on their own dipped in garlic mayo!
- Cut the peeled onions into 1/2in slices and separate into rings.
- Soak the rings in the buttermilk mixed with the cayenne pepper. Leave for up to 1/2 an hour - the longer they soak the better.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, celery salt, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Drain the onion rings and drop them in the seasoned flour.
- Remove and deep-fry a few rings at a time in hot oil until golden and crisp.
- Season and serve immediately.
Very good. I loved the crispy and delicate breading it formed. I made it with only one thing extra: 2 tsp of hot sauce (Texas Pete) in the buttermilk/cayenne/pepper mix. I used 2 storage bags as my bowls. I placed the onion rings in buttermilk mix and shook it to coat. Then I took them out, drained the buttermilk with a colander, then placed it in the flour mix bag and shook to coat again. It worked great and cleanup was a lot easier. Delicious!!!
Excellent !! This will be our way of doing it from now on. Thank you !!
Divine! A thin delicate crust forms with a perfect crunch! I didn't have buttermilk so I used a runny plain yogurt. You all are missing out!