Recipe by Mary in LA.
The best time to cook Okra is in June.This summer delight would make any mouth water especially if you like okra.
- 1 lb fresh okra
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cracker meal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash okra; drain.
- Cut off tips and stems ends; cut okra crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Combine flour,cracker meal,1 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a shallow dish.
- Combine egg,buttermilk, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a dish, mixing well.
- Add about one-third of orka to egg mixture; remove okra with a slotted spoon, and place in flour mixture, stirring gently to coat okra.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven, heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry okra until golden brown.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Repeat procedure twice.
- Serve hot.