Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are great dipped in ketchup or sweet & sour sauce.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup water (or less)
- 1 lb button mushroom
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Put oil in a 1 cup measure and add water to the 3/4 cup mark.
- Make well in centre of dry ingredients and pour in the water-oil mixture.
- Stir together, adding as much of the remaining 1/4 cup of water as you need to make a batter of the correct consistency to coat the mushrooms.
- Stir until smooth.
- Heat cooking oil in deep fryer.
- Dip mushrooms in batter and drop in hot oil.
- Cook a few minutes until nicely browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a wire rack with paper towels beneath it to catch the oil drips.
- Repeat with remaining mushrooms until all are fried.
We thought this was a great batter - not too thin or thick and great flavor!
Try this recipe instead...1 Cup Flour mixed with 1 tsp Garlic Salt. Add 1 Cup Milk and 1 Scrambled Egg. Dip mushrooms into batter then dip into Panko breadcrumbs. These will get crispy and delicious. Try to find the smallest mushrooms you can.
This recipe was a little complicated to follow and there was no flavor to it.....