A twist on Mashed Potatoes
Make and share this Deep Fried Mashed Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Make mashed potatoes into golf-ball or small balls.
- Add cheese, as per taste.
- Freeze for 2 hours, or more.
- Mix together the flour, milk, egg and salt to make the batter.
- Gently dip mashed potato balls in batter, being careful that all exposed potato is coated with batter.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden-brown.
My friend was telling me about these "potato balls" that he makes and I hopped onto the Zaar to see if I could find a recipe similar to what he was describing. This is very similar to what he was explaining. I had to leave the cheese out because I did not have any and I dipped the balls in the eggs then flour and finally panko bread crumbs. I did not freeze the balls, I just let the potatoes cool completely before shaping them into balls. I also added a 1/4 cup chopped onions and fried them up. Very delicious :)
These turned out great (once I was patient enough to let the oil get to the right temp!). I had some Idahoan Loaded Baked potatoes left over and added some shredded colby jack cheese. The outside was slightly crunchy and then gave way to the creaminess of the potatoes. Thanks for a great way to use up my leftover mashed potatoes!!
These were really good. The cheese just made them. So easy to make. Thanks for posting this recipe.