Prep 15 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Courtesy of Paul Deen. This recipe has received rave reviews.
For the sauce
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons house seasoning (see recipe below)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
For the lasagna
- 6 -9 long strips lasagna noodles
- 12 ounces cottage cheese, mixed with 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- flour, for coating
- 2 eggs, beaten
- plain breadcrumbs, for coating
- peanut oil, for frying
- For the sauce:.
- Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar and bay leaves in a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. See Cook's Note*
- Crumble the ground beef in a saucepan.
- Cook until no pink remains then drain off the fat.
- Add the ground beef to the stockpot.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- *Cook's Note: If sauce is too thin, for your taste, you can thicken it up at this time by mixing 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and a 1/4 of a cup of cold water. Bring sauce back to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
- For the lasagna:.
- Place a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 by 2-inch pan.
- Layer 1/3 of each; noodle; cottage cheese mixture, Gruyere, Swiss and Cheddar cheese. Pinch off small pieces of cream cheese and dot over the other cheeses.
- Add another layer of sauce.
- Repeat layering 2 to 3 times ending with sauce.
- At this point it may be covered and refrigerated (see note below) or bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and top with mozzarella and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- *Note: If lasagna has been refrigerated, bake for 40 minutes total.
- Once cooked, refrigerate overnight, and cut into 15 squares.
- Heat oil to 350º F.
- Dredge each square in flour then egg and then bread crumbs to coat.
- Fry for about 1 minute until golden brown.
- House Seasoning recipe:.
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder.