Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Another treat fo Cinco de Mayo! Make the ice cream balls the night before and they will be ready to go when you need them.
- 1 pint ice cream, any flavor
- 1 loaf sliced white bread
- 6 -8 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Place a plate or sheet pan in the freezer and let it chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, make balls of ice cream and place them on the sheet pan then return them to the freezer.
- Cut the crusts off the sliced bread and using about 2 slices per ice cream ball, form the bread around the ice cream using your hands to pack it like a snow ball.
- This works best if you turn 1 piece of the bread so that it is not directly over the other, so that you have 8 corners, like a star.
- Once it's completely covered return it to the freezer.
- If some ice cream melts through the edge, just wipe it off.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 3 inches of canola oil to 365 degrees F.
- Drop the covered ice cream balls, one at a time, into the hot oil and fry, turning occasionally so they color evenly, until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from oil and briefly drain on paper towels.
- Stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Coat fried ice cream in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- I like it drizzled with caramel or chocolate fudge sauce.
Wonderful!!!!!! Had a couple over for dinner and had the ice cream. Everyone loved it! That's all it was Man, this is good!!!!!! I'm making it for my kids tommorrow.Thanks Kym in Ohio