Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe started out as an Emeril Lagasse, but I've altered it quite a bit to suit our tastes. My kids call this "eggplant chips"! We dip these in marinara sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, freshly made
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small eggplant
- oil (for deep frying)
- In 3 small bowls: put flour in the 1st, egg and 1/2 teaspoons salt (whisked together) in the 2nd, bread crumbs and remaining seasonings in the 3rd.
- Cut eggplant in 1/4 inch thick slices and then quarter slices.
- Dredge each piece of eggplant in the flour, coating thoroughly, then shaking off excess.
- Dip in egg mixture, then press into bread crumbs.
- Transfer to a rack or paper towel to allow them to dry slightly.
- In a deep heavy skillet, heat 1/2-3/4 inch of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry the eggplant in batches for 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels; sprinkle lightly with salt before serving if desired.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
My DH said he doesn't like eggplant but this recipe changed his mind! The flavors were very nice and this made alot! Thanks Kaarin!