Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe I found while searching for Australian recipes for ZWT. Found this one on the Sydney Fish Market web site. This is what was stated about the prawns/recipe: "Tiny little school prawns, small enough to eat head and all, are in season from about October – March … which is the best time to make this moreish dish. Add more chilli if you feel like a little more heat!" This serves 6 as an entree.
- Make Chilli Salt: crush salt and combine well with chilli powder.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep-fryer to 190ºC.
- Combine tapioca starch and Chilli Salt in a plastic bag. Add prawns and shake to coat well. Tip into a fine sieve and shake off the excess mixture.
- Lower the prawns into the oil in batches and fry for 30-60 seconds, until they change colour and begin to float.
- Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt flakes. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
- Notes: If prawns are small enough, they can be eaten shell and all.
- Alternative Species: Other prawns, marron, redclaw, yabby.