Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is a different way to make chile rellenos--it's quite good.
- oil (for deep frying)
- 3 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) package cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- flour tortilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate chiles to make 10 individual pieces. Slice both cheeses into 10 strips. Place one strip of each cheese inside each chile. Place cheese stuffed chiles in center of each tortilla. Fold end of tortilla over chile, envelope style; secure with wooden picks.
- In small bowl, beat egg and milk until blended.
- In small bowl, combine flour, chili powder and garlic salt. Dip tortilla in egg mixture. Deep fry tortilla one minute on each side or until golden brown.