1/2 Photos of Deep-Fried Chicken (But Low Fat!)
Old family recipe, so simple that guests refuse to believe that I'm not hiding some secret ingredient! Removing the skin from the chicken greatly reduces the fat content, but the chicken is moist and tasty, with a lovely brown crust. It's labor intensive, but worth every minute!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the chicken into pieces.
- 2Remove skin and extra fat from each piece (except wings -- too hard!).
- 3When all pieces are skinned and rinsed, salt each piece on both sides and put into a large bowl.
- 4Cover bowl and allow to sit in refrigerator overnight, if possible, but at least for an hour or two.
- 5Heat your recycled shortening (see below) in dutch oven.
- 6Pour milk into a medium bowl, and flour into another.
- 7When the shortening is hot enough, roll a piece of chicken in the flour, then dip into the milk, then roll in flour again.
- 8Carefully drop each piece into hot oil. If the shortening is hot enough, the chicken will float. Depending on the size of your kettle, a whole chicken might be 4-6 batches; just don't overload the kettle.
- 9Larger pieces may need to be turned over.
- 10Remove pieces with tongs when golden brown; place on paper towels to drain.
- 11Serve hot, but it's great cold the next day!
- 12Recycled shortening: Crisco, for example, comes in a 3-lb. "can" (in quotes because it's cardboard, not metal). The first time you make this chicken, use a full can. When the cooking is done and the shortening has cooled somewhat, pour the liquid into a container (metal coffee can, or similar) except for the brown sludge at the bottom (residue from flour, etc,) which is thrown out. Save the shortening, covered, in your refrigerator until next time. Add enough fresh shortening to the kettle to replace the part you threw out. P.S. When starting with all fresh shortening, adding a little bacon grease will improve flavor of your first batch of chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Fried Chicken (But Low Fat!)
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.6
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.8 mg
- Sodium 892.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 30.2 g