Recipe by Steve_G
Pulled off the internet for a discussion board request for tortilla wrapped cheesecake. Never tried this one, but I don't see any reason that the spring roll wrapper can't be replaced with a tortilla with some adjustments to the size of the cake slices.
Top Review by Ratalouille
These came out better than I thought they would! I used pumpkin cheesecake and triple chocolate cheesecake for the fillings (DH thought it was pudding). I found it helpful to let the cheesecake sit for a few minutes before wrapping, to take the chill off. These are best eaten warm, the cheesecake is all soft and "melty" ... try to resist the urge to eat them as soon as they come out of the fryer :P. Great recipe Steve_G !!! Thank You :)
- 1 prepared cheesecake (homemade or store bought)
- 30 egg roll wraps (available in Asian and large supermarkets, I don't see why tortilla's wouldn't work here)
- 1 egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 1 cup of milk)
- vegetable oil, as needed
- cinnamon sugar, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut already-baked cheesecake into uniform pieces approximately 1-by-3 inches in size.
- One large cheesecake will produce about 30 slices for deep frying.
- Lightly moisten each spring roll wrapper with the egg wash.
- Blot off excess egg wash with paper towel.
- Place each piece of cheesecake in the middle of a wrapper.
- Fold top of wrapper down over the cheesecake, and both sides toward the middle.
- Roll each piece of cheesecake toward you until it is completely rolled up.
- Give this "egg roll" a gentle squeeze to make sure the dough is sealed completely.
- Using a deep frying pan, heat at least 3 inches of oil to 365°F.
- Dip the corner of one "egg roll" in the heated oil.
- If the oil sizzles, it is ready.
- If not, heat the oil a little longer.
- When the oil is ready, gently release "egg rolls" into the oil and allow to brown lightly, approximately 10 seconds.
- Using tongs, remove the golden-brown "egg rolls" from the oil.
- Place each "egg roll" in a bowl of cinnamon sugar and coat well.
- Place deep-fried slices of cheesecake on paper towels to cool slightly before serving.
- (I'd use a rack).
- Caution: These will be very hot.
- Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
- They can be enjoyed warm or cold.
- (Cinnamon sugar can be made by mixing 2 cups of sugar with 4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon).