Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was originally written for cauliflower, but I had just purchased a mixed bag of fresh broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower and decided to try it with the broccoli and cauliflowerl. I liked the cauliflower but fell in love with the broccoli so here it is for safe keeping. Like the saying goes, just about anything fried is good, and this is good!
- 3 heads fresh broccoli, cleaned and cut bite-size (or cauliflower)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 3 -4 cups canola oil, enough to fill deep fryer (or vegetable, canola oil is best)
- Heat oil in deep fryer or large pot on stove to 350° Fahrenheit
- Beat eggs and milk together in a bowl. Pour milk and egg wash in a ziplock bag.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except broccoli) in a separate ziplock bag; close the bag and shake thoroughly to mix. (Cajun or Creole seasonings: Zatarain's or Tony Chachere's, to taste or 1 teaspoon).
- Shake and soak broccoli pieces in egg wash bag for 5 minutes, then place them in flour and seasoning ziplock bag. Shake to coat. Place each coated broccoli piece in hot oil and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Best served hot out of the fryer. Serve with condiments of your choice, catsup, hot sauce, or cocktail sauce are my favorite choices.
We tried this recipe and it was a disaster. Maybe we made a mistake, but all the flour fell off the broccoli and ended up in the bottom of the fryer!