Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
This is a very famous recipe from Beijing. Not for the calorie conscious but for a special treat! Well worth the effort.
- 800 g topside beef
- 10 slice fresh peeled ginger
- 2 spring onions (green onions)
- 946.36 ml peanut oil
- 9.85 ml sesame oil
- 29.58 ml sesame oil
- 10 whole dried chilies
- 9.85 ml peppercorns
- 15 piece dried orange peel (from Asian supermarket)
- 354.88 ml stock (any will do)
- 59.14 ml Chinese wine
- 59.16 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml salt
- white pepper
- 59.16 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml chili oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into thin strips.
- Add five slices ginger, one chopped spring onion, salt and 1-2 tbs chinese wine to marinate beef for 20 minutes.
- Remove onion and ginger before cooking.
- Heat 4 cups oil in wok until hot.
- Add beef and separate, cook and remove from wok and drain. Continue to heat oil.
- When oil is hotter add back the beef and deep fry again. This makes the beef dry. Remove from wok and drain.
- Heat 2 tsp sesame oil in another pan, add chilli and stir a few times. Then add peppercorns, pre-soaked orange peel and stir a few more times.
- Add another spring onion and five slices of ginger.
- Add stock, rest of chinese wine, soy sauce, salt, pepper.
- Add beef and cook over low flame.
- Add sugar and continue to cook.
- Then turn up the flame to caramelise the sauce. Finally add 2 more tablespoons sesame oil and chili oil.
- Remove dired chillis, ginger and orange peel before serving with steamed rice.