Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Just came across tis one on the net
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut in half width-wise, and then each half, in half again, length-wise
- 1⁄2 cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons dry sweetener
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon or 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- club soda, as needed
- 1⁄2-1 cup extra unbleached flour, for dredging bananas
- oil (for deep frying)
- Heat in deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Make sure it is the correct temperature!
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until well-combined.
- Add club soda and stir lightly and quickly until the batter is of pancake batter consistency.
- Do not over mix or the finished product will be leaden.
- Dredge banana slices lightly in the extra flour, then dip thoroughly in the batter.
- Drop in the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry for 3-4 minutes, turning frequently, until they are a beautiful golden colour.
- Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and let rest on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Keep these hot in a 250 degree F. oven.
- Repeat with remaining banana slices.
- Serve these with generous dollops of vanilla ice cream, maple syrup and whipped cream.