Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm not much of a deep fried person but these were advertised at stands all over my roadtrip through artichoke country in Northern California and I just had to try them! So glad I did!
- 2 (9 ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 egg yolks
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- oil, for deep-frying
- Thaw the artichoke hearts.
- Place flour in a bowl and add egg yolks, nutmeg and salt, pepper and tabasco to taste. Gradually beat in 1 cup milk. Stir in baking powder. Coat artichokes in batter. Adjust the consistancy with the extra milk if needed.
- Drop the artichokes one at a time into oil (deep enough to cover artichokes), heated to 360 degrees. Cook, turning, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce (I like ranch or flavored mayo)!
Pretty good! Only thing I did different was sprinkle grated parmesan to the batter to add cheesiness- just a personal preference though :-)