Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have cobbled together quite a few recipes and ingredients trying to find a sauce that is rich in flavor without being too sweet. It's still a work in progress - but I don't want to loose the ingredients the next time I make it.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 28 ounces tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano (we used fresh because we had it on hand)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oil in saucepan, add garlic and onions, sautee, but don't brown.
- Add remainder of ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cool and add to pizza dough.
- Enough sauce for 2 14" pizzas.
I've made this twice now, omitting the sugar and Worchestershire. I like to let it reduce somewhat to thicken it up a bit. I then freeze it in icecube trays for easy portioning. Thanks.
Loved it each and every time...makes a fantastic pizza! Thanks.
This was SO easy, and the taste is perfect!! I will never buy those little cans of pizza sauce again.