Recipe by Dancer^
This scrumptious pizza is very filling. Two slices are plenty for dinner along with a salad.
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 ounces water
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 8 ounces flour, plain strong
- 8 ounces whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce or 8 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- salt & pepper, freshly ground
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into 1 inch/2.5cm pieces
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water.
- Sprinkle yeast over water and let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Meanwhile, combine flours and salt. Stir oil into foamy yeast mixture. Stir in about half the flour mixture. Add more flour, mixing until dough can be gathered into a slightly sticky ball (you may need a little more or less than 1 lb/450 g of flour). On lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as necessary to prevent dough from sticking to work surface. Cut dough in half, cover with greasproof paper and let rest for 10 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll each piece of dough into a 12 inch/30 cm circle, about 1/4 inch/5 mm thick.
- Transfer rounds to 2 lightly oiled pizza pans or baking sheets.
- Carefully, using fingers, stretch dough into large circles.
- Let dough rise for about 15 minutes before adding toppings.
- For a thicker crust, let dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Add toppings (see below recipe) just before baking.
- Makes 12 inch/30 cm pizza rounds.
- Prepare pizza dough.
- In small bowl, combine tomato sauce, garlic, oregano and basil; stir to mix.
- In heavy frying pan, heat oil over medium heat; add onions and cook over medium to low heat, stirring until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat, stirring or shaking pan until mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and set aside. In large pot of boiling water, cook broccoli for 2 minutes or until bright green; drain and cool under cold running water to prevent green; drain and cool under cold running water to prevent any further cooking.
- Drain again and set aside. Spread tomato with mushroom and onion mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake in 425 degree/Gas Mark 7 oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is browned and top is bubbly.