Recipe by BachFromTheDead
This is a Quiche of my own invention using sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, and bacon! fluffy, airy, savory and delicious! Note: this makes 1 large deep-dish quiche, but you can divide it into 2 smaller quiches if you like.
- 1 1⁄4 all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wheat flour
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 4 tablespoons lard
- water (as needed)
- 9 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat ricotta
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato, juices reserved
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped cooked artichoke heart
- 1 slice swiss cheese, shredded or 1⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons basil or 2 tablespoons onion powder or 2 tablespoons paprika
- 5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons thyme
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder or 1 -2 teaspoon white pepper or 1 -2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons celery salt or 2 teaspoons salt or 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces crumbled cooked bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Crust: Combine flour and salt. Rub in butter and lard with fingertips untilwell-incorporated. Add water as neccesary until a consistent dough forms. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick and press into a lg., buttered, springform pan (or 2 pie tins). Prick the bottom of the pie crust to prevent bubbles and weigh down the center with pie weights or pennies. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 minutes or until crust is slightly darker. Remove and set aside.
- For The Filling/Assembly: whip all of the filling (cheeses, excluding second 1/3 Celsius cheddar, eggs, spices, veggies,milk, sauces) ingredients together until well incorporated. Pour into crust. Top the quiche with bacon crumbles and cheddar. Bake at 425 degrees F for 60-78 minutes(cut time in half if doing 2 separate pies); or until no longer jiggly and golden. Serve.