Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
"Rhubarb is much better in pies Sweet and sour, with strawberry complies It's good as gooseberry And tasty as cherry Please, have a slice -- do not be shy!" Try this favorite with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream! From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 pie crust (either store bought or your own recipe)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine all ingredients except pastry and place in a 9 x 5 x 2" baking pan.
- Place pie crust on top of mixture, fold overhanging crust under and press double edge against rim of dish.
- Prick crust with the tines of a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350F and bake until fruit is tender and crust is a delicate golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
This was an excellent tasty pie.Love the idea of one crust.