Recipe by dmrogers47
I like this recipe because it has just about everything I love in it. It came from a time when I was a vegetarian and wanted something different for dinner. This recipe can be made in a round crock pot as well as the oven. You can substitute light sour cream for regular and less fat cheese for regular cheese.
Top Review by La Gringa
This is actually an old Rosarita brand recipe. I lost my original and was happy to find it here! I give it 4 stars for easy preparation! It is a good starting point, though I usually add browned beef or shredded chicken as well as omitting the onions. I also omit the tomato and use drained chunky salsa in its place. Top it off with cilantro.
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease 10 inch round deep dish pan, skillet or crock pot.
- Arrange 1-2 tortillas to cover bottom of pan. Generously brush tortillas with 1/4 cup enchilada sauce.
- Spread beans over sauce and tortillas followed by half the onions and a third of the cheese.
- Place 2 more tortillas over cheese and again brush with 1/4 cup enchilada sauce.
- Evenly spread sour cream over sauce, place avocado slices over sour cream. Place a third layer of tortillas over avocados, again brush with enchilada sauce.
- Place sliced tomatoes, green chilies, remaining onion and a third of the cheese over tortillas and enchilada sauce. Top with remaining tortillas and spread remaining enchilada sauce to the edges, top with remaining cheese.
- Bake covered for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- If using this recipe in a crock pot cook on low for 2 hours approximately.