A husband favorite
Make and share this Deep-Dish Pizza With Sausage, Garlic, and Mozzarella recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicago-style deep-dish pizza dough, at room temperature (Chicago Style Deep-Dish Pizza Dough)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicago-style pizza sauce (Tomato Sauce for Chicago Style Pizza)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Position oven rack on the 2nd-lowest level in the oven and place a baking stone on the rack; preheat oven to 500°.
- Brush a 14-inch deep-dish pizza pan with ½ tablespoon olive oil.
- Press the dough evenly to cover the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of the pan.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in the pan for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a big skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoons olive oil; swirl to coat the pan.
- Scatter the sausage in the pan; stir/saute until the sausage is cooked through and not pink, 5 minutes; drain sausage, then transfer to paper towel lined plate.
- Assemble pizza: lightly press the dough up the sides of the pan if it has slid back down.
- Lay half of the mozzarella slices over dough, overlapping them to cover the dough completely.
- Scatter the cooked sausage over the top; sprinkle the garlic over the sausage.
- Arrange the remaining cheese slices over the top.
- Ladle tomato sauce evenly over the cheese; sprinkle with Parmesan over the sauce.
- Place pizza in oven on the baking stone; decrease temperature to 450°.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until crust is a deep golden brown and the cheese is golden.
- Remove pizza from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 5-7 minutes.
- Cut pizza into large wedges and serve.