1 hr 45 mins
I need to try this soon! This recipe came from an old church fundraiser cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- pie crust (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto (or lean ham)
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 12 -15 fresh basil leaves
- 1In a 10-12 inch frying pan, set over medium high heat, crumble sausage with a spoon; cook, stirring until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add garlic, fennel, oregano, chilies, pepper and tomatoes. Stir until mixture boils, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and mix in Mozzarella, eggs, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Set aside to cool slightly, or, cool, cover and chill overnight.
- 4On a lightly floured board (or on layers of plastic wrap), roll half of the pie crust dough into an oval large enough to cover the bottom and sides of an 8x12 inch oval baking dish. Fit pastry into dish, with excess lapped over the rim.
- 5Spoon sausage mixture enenly into crust; cover with Prosciutto slices. Dot Ricotta over Prosciutto, then spread Ricotta and top with basil leaves.
- 6Roll remaining dough on a floured board until large enough to cover top of pie. Fit pastry over pie, seal edges, and flute. Pierce a few decorative holes in crust.
- 7Bake on lowest shelf of a 375* oven until edge of crust is browned. about 1 hour.
- 8About 10 minutes before pie is done, sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Serve hot or at room temperature. Scoop out portions.
- 9Pie crust:.
- 10With a pastry blender of 2 knives, cut 2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening into 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle with 4-5 tablespoons cold water and stir with a fork until dough holds together. Pat into a ball.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Dish Pizza Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.8
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 209.8 mg
- Sodium 1602.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 41.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: