Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I need to try this soon! This recipe came from an old church fundraiser cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- pie crust (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto (or lean ham)
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 12 -15 fresh basil leaves
- In a 10-12 inch frying pan, set over medium high heat, crumble sausage with a spoon; cook, stirring until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, fennel, oregano, chilies, pepper and tomatoes. Stir until mixture boils, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in Mozzarella, eggs, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Set aside to cool slightly, or, cool, cover and chill overnight.
- On a lightly floured board (or on layers of plastic wrap), roll half of the pie crust dough into an oval large enough to cover the bottom and sides of an 8x12 inch oval baking dish. Fit pastry into dish, with excess lapped over the rim.
- Spoon sausage mixture enenly into crust; cover with Prosciutto slices. Dot Ricotta over Prosciutto, then spread Ricotta and top with basil leaves.
- Roll remaining dough on a floured board until large enough to cover top of pie. Fit pastry over pie, seal edges, and flute. Pierce a few decorative holes in crust.
- Bake on lowest shelf of a 375* oven until edge of crust is browned. about 1 hour.
- About 10 minutes before pie is done, sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Serve hot or at room temperature. Scoop out portions.
- Pie crust:.
- With a pastry blender of 2 knives, cut 2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening into 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle with 4-5 tablespoons cold water and stir with a fork until dough holds together. Pat into a ball.