1/1 Photo of Deep Dish Pizza
2 hrs 40 mins
I got this recipe from Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet back in 1987. He made this recipe and ran it by Pizzeria Uno in Chicago and they smiled and nodded "It's almost as good as ours." This is easy, no roll recipe.
My Private Note
9inch p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages quick-rising yeast
- 2 cups tepid water (90 degrees)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1In the bowl of your electric mixer- KitchenAid is perfect for this- dissolve the yeast in the water.
- 2Add the oils, cornmeal, and 3 cups of the flour.
- 3Beat for 10 minutes with the mixer.
- 4Add the dough hook and mix in the additional 2½ cups flour.
- 5Knead for several minutes with the machine.
- 6It is hard to do this by hand since the dough is very rich and moist.
- 7Pour out the dough on a plastic countertop and cover with a very large metal bowl.
- 8Allow to rise double in bulk.
- 9Punch down and allow to rise again.
- 10Punch down a second time and you are ready to make your pizza.
- 11Oil round cake pans or deep dish pizza pan.
- 12Put a bit of dough in each and push it out to the edges, using your fingers.
- 13Put in enough dough so that you can run the crust right up the side of the pan.
- 14Try to make it approximately 1/8" thick throughout the pan.
- 15The filling for 9 or 10 inch pan:.
- 16Place the cheese in tilelike layers on the bottom of the pie.
- 17Next put in the tomatoes and the basil, oregano, garlic and salt- reserve the Parmesan cheese for the top.
- 18Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the pie and bake.
- 19Additional variations: BEFORE you put on the Parmesan cheese and olive oil drizzle you might like to add any or all of the following:.
- 20Italian Sausage- hot or mild.
- 21Yellow Onions- peeled and sliced or diced.
- 22Pepperoni- sliced thin.
- 23Mushrooms- sliced.
- 24Green Sweet Bell Peppers- cored and sliced thin.
- 25Sliced Black Olives.
- 26Very Thinly Sliced Ham or Canadian Bacon.
- 27Put any or all of these on your pie and then top with the Parmesan and the olive oil.
- 28Bake the pie in 475º oven until the top is golden and gooey and the crust a light golden brown.
- 29This should take about 35-40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Midwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Midwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Dish Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.9
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 8.3 mg
- Sodium 147.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 7.9 g