Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
This recipe is by Mary Lucile Jordan (deceased), County Extension Coordinator with the Etowah County office of the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, and was published in an online edition of The Gadsden Times. NOTE: The original recipe called for 1 cup sugar and that just sounds too sweet to me -- so you be the judge and add sugar to suit your family's sweetness level!
PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 2 lbs firm pears (peeled, cored, and cut in halves)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup sugar (original recipe called for 1 cup!)
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
CHEDDAR CHEESE PASTRY INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- PIE FILLING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place pear halves in 1 qt casserole or deep dish pie plate.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and spices ~ sprinkle over pears.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with cheddar cheese pastry, crimping to edges of casserole or pie plate ~ cut a few slits into crust to vent.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes.
- CHEDDAR CHEESE PASTRY INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Combine flour and salt.
- Cut-in shortening with a pastry blender (or two knives) until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle cold water over surface; stir with a fork till combined; shape into a ball.
- Flatten dough and roll into a circle large enough to overhang casserole dish or pie plate edge about 1-inch, enough to crimp to dish.
- Cut a few slits into crust, and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream, if desired.