1/2 Photos of Deep-Dish Florentine Pizza
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Zephyr's Note:
A great deep dish pizza that I have made for years. Leftovers are good reheated or cold. Kids might not like it because of the spinach & mushrooms. This is a not a quick recipe. It's not complicated but has many steps. It's worth the work. Once you have the basic recipe down, you can play with the ingredients. I often cut back on the salt in the dough & add garlic salt, basil & oregano. I also use the dough recipe for a hand tossed thinner crust pizza. I usually save this for a slow weekend. To speed things up I use pre-shredded cheese and bulk Italian sausage when I can find it. If you don't like whole wheat in your crust, just replace with white flour. The crust is pretty crunchy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons white cornmeal
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1For crust:
- 2Grease a 14-inch deep dish pizza pan. (or 2 9-inch square baking pans).
- 3Sprinkle with 4 teaspoons cornmeal.
- 4Dissolve yeast in warm water & sugar in mixing bowl.
- 5Add 1/2 cup cornmeal, oil, salt and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour.
- 6Mix well.
- 7Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- 8Knead for about 5 minutes.
- 9Shape to form ball; place in greased bowl, turning once to coat surface. Cover, let rise in warm place about 45 minutes until double.
- 10Punch dough down.
- 12Let rest 10 minutes.
- 13Roll out or stretch dough to fit pan and come up sides forming a 1 inch rim. Let rise from 5 minutes - 20 minutes depending on how you chewy you want the crust.
- 14For topping:
- 15While dough is rising, thaw spinach in microwave.
- 16Squeeze moisture from spinach.
- 17Remove meat from casing if necessary.
- 18Brown in a 12-inch skillet with onion & garlic.
- 19Drain the fat off.
- 20Add spinach, cook about 10 minutes more.
- 21Spread cheese evenly over crust.
- 22Arrange meat mixture over cheese.
- 23Top with mushrooms.
- 24Combine pizza sauce & water.
- 25Spread over toppings.
- 26Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 - 18 minutes.
- 27Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over pizza.
- 28Bake an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
- 29Let rest 5 - 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Dish Florentine Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.4
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 82.6 mg
- Sodium 1877.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 34.2 g