1/1 Photo of Deep Dish Eggy Quiche
I have been hunting for a really great quiche recipe that isn't too cheesey -I like mine to be more eggy. I found a version of this recipe in a community cookbook submitted by a former neighbor. This is my interpretation of her basic recipe. I used cooked diced bacon in this and left out the sauteed veggies. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 inches pie pastry crust, unbaked
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded (measured in a measuring cup not weighed)
- 3/4-1 cup diced cooked ham or 3/4-1 cup diced cooked bacon or 3/4-1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/4-1/2 cup onions (optional) or 1/4-1/2 cup green peppers (optional) or 1/4-1/2 cup mushroom, sauteed in a little butter until limp (optional)
- fresh nutmeg (for grating) or ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Line an UNGREASED deep dish pie plate with the pie pastry, folding edges over and crimping decoratively.
- 3Use a measuring cup to portion out the shredded cheese (if you go by the weight in ounces/grams, you will end up with excess cheese, as shredded cheese is very lightweight.) Sprinkle cheese over pastry, following by the meat, and sauteed vegetables (if using).
- 4Using a whisk, combine the eggs, milk, cream,flour, and melted butter (cooled slightly, but still liquid) until well combined. Season to taste with some salt and white pepper (black is fine if you don't mind seeing the specks). Be careful with the seasoning if you have added bacon, as the bacon already can add quite a bit of salt.
- 5Pour over the meat, cheese, and veggies.
- 6Using a microplane grater or a nutmeg grater, freshly grate a light dusting of nutmeg over the entire surface of the quiche to taste (don't go overboard).
- 7Bake in the center of your preheated oven for 40 minutes or until it has puffed,is bubbling, is very lightly browned, and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 8It will still jiggle like chilled gelatin, but should not be watery or slosh around.
- 9Do not overcook or it will get tough.
- 10Let cool 10 minutes before slicing into 8 slices.
- 11If you don't let it cool the 10 minutes, it will fall apart.
- 12The puffiness will sink during the cooling period and the quiche will flatten out quite a bit-this is normal.
- 13You can leave out the vegetables entirely or mix up several of the veggies together.
- 14You can also substitute more veggies (or other veggies such as cooked broccoli or sauteed zucchini slices) for all of the meat.
- 15I like my quiche to be more eggy, less cheesey- if you like it to be really cheesey, add an additional 1/2 cup cheese.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Dish Eggy Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.8
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 171.4 mg
- Sodium 205.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 12.8 g