Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Economical.. because you can use leftover cooked chicken. Instead of using the chicken stock, I replace it with a can of Mushroom Chicken Soup (Campbell's )... tastier .. Recipe from Family Circle.
- 60 g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 125 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 400 g campbell's chicken mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken, skin removed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sheet premade puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg, for glaze
- Heat the butter in the pan and gently cook onion until soft and golden. Add mushroom and celery. Cook, stirring, for another 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir. Slowly add the water and the can of Mushroom soup and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Mix in cream and chicken and season with pepper.
- Spoon mixture into greased deep souffle or casserole dish. Cut a circle of pastry the same size as the dish and place over filling. Decorate with leaves or little chicken shapes made from pastry trimmings and attach to pastry lid with beaten egg and bake in a hot oven 200°C for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden.