Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This pizza is from a local pizzeria that makes their own bread dough. Too time consuming for most of us. Feel free to add or change in any way!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 lb store-bought pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Allow the pizza dough to sit on a counter for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, covered with a damp towel.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F with a rack in the lowest position.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into large pieces with a spoon until golden brown but still pink in the middle (4-6 minutes).
- Coat a 9-inch cake pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Press the dough into the pan, covering the bottom and sides. Top the dough, in this order, with the mozzarella, marinara, onion, and cooked sausage.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown (30-35 minutes). Top with the ricotta and pepper. Bake until the ricotta is warm (3-4 minutes). Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.