2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Use a 10-inch extra-deep pie pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 basic flaky double crust pie crust, refrigerated
- 6 -8 ripe peaches (small to medium size)
- 4 cups fresh blackberries (or individually frozen blackberries no packed in syrup, partially thawed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1Prepare pastry and refrigerate until firm enough to roll.
- 2Meanwhile, blanch the peaches—bring 2-3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot; using a slotted spoon, lower the peaches into the boiling water one at a time; count to 15, then remove the peach.
- 3Let it cool briefly, then just slide off the skin (the first one is your test peach; if the skin doesn’t slip right off, give the next one 30 seconds; you want to submerge the peach just long enough to loosen the skin, but not so long that the flesh underneath gets too soft, making it difficult to handle when you slice it).
- 4After you slip off the skins, slice peaches into a large measuring cup; you will need 4 cups.
- 5Combine the sliced peaches, blackberries, and ½ cup sugar in a large bowl; toss to combine; set aside for 15 minutes.
- 6Roll out bottom crust (13 ½ inch circle) on lightly floured waxed paper with floured rolling pin; invert pastry over 10-inch extra-deep pie pan; center, and peel off the paper.
- 7Gently tuck the pastry into the pan without stretching it; let edges overhang; place in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- 8In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons sugar with the cornstarch; stir the mixture into the fruit along with the nutmeg, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- 9Preheat oven to 400°.
- 10Roll out top crust on lightly floured waxed paper (11 ½ inch circle).
- 11Turn the filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth fruit with a spoon and dot with the butter.
- 12Lightly moisten the rim of the pie shell; invert top pastry over the filling; center, and peel off the paper.
- 13Press the top and bottom pastries together along the dampened edge.
- 14Trim pastry edges with scissors leaving an even ½ inch overhang all around; flute edges as desired.
- 15Poke several steam vents in the top of the pie with a fork or paring knife (put a couple of the vents near the edge of the crust so you can check the juices there later.
- 16Glaze the pie: lightly brush the pastry with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- 17Place pie on the center oven rack; bake 30 minutes.
- 18Decrease oven temperature to 375° and rotate pie 180°; slide a large foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch spills.
- 19Continue baking 35-45 minutes until the juices bubble thickly at the steam vents and the top is golden.
- 20If the top starts to get too dark, cover it with loosely tented foil during the last 15 minutes.
- 21Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool at least 2 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Dish Blackberry-Peach Double Crust Pie
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.3
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 245.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g