Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Tony Danza Show
- 9 ounces vanilla wafers (from a 12-ounce package)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons dark rum
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch-square baking dish with the vanilla wafers. Set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar and flour in a medium saucepan set over medium heat; stir to combine.
- Add the milk, whisk, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking constantly, until thick, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk about 3/4 cup of the hot milk mixture into the eggs.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan with the remaining hot milk mixture and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla.
- Whisk until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a clean bowl and cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks begin to form.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and whip until stiff peaks start to form.
- Add the rum and whip to incorporate.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Pour half of the pudding over the vanilla wafers, then top with the banana slices.
- Add the remaining pudding, smoothing it over the bananas.
- Cover tightly and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- To make the chocolate sauce, in a small heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a bare simmer over low heat.
- Place the chocolate pieces in a medium heatproof bowl.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 1 minute, undisturbed.
- Add the vanilla and whisk until the chocolate melts and the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Let the sauce cool slightly before using.
- When ready to serve, top with the whipped cream, and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce over the cream and top with the walnuts.
Very rich and very good, but next time I think I'll skip the rum (or use less), as I don't think it adds to the pudding very much. Thanks for sharing!