Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
At the request of a fellow zaarian, here is the recipe for our 2005 Thanksgiving Apple Pie - weighing in at 5.85 pounds! We all tend to like our pie on the tart side instead of sweet so I have already adjusted the sugar accordingly. I like to mix my apples (yellow delish, granny smith, jonagold, gala). The pie pan I used was 12" x 4". Note the prep time does not include making of the pastry.
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 12 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Prep the lemons and set juice and zest aside.
- Peel and slice apples, tossing to mix. Add the juice and zest (aids in preventing apples browning and enhances tartness).
- Mix well.
- Stir in sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour into bottom portion of prepared pie shell.
- Cut butter up into cubes and dot across the apples.
- Top with remaining pie dough, cutting slits in top for steam to escape.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar and dashes of cinnamon over top.
- Bake in preheated 400ºF oven approximately 50-60 minutes.
Family gobbled it up so good