Make and share this Deep-Dish Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 classic pie crust, sufficient for bottom and top of 10 inch deep dish pie (try Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Note: if you are making a 9-inch pie you will need approximately 1/4 less ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter.
- Add the apples and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the sugars, lemon juice and flour.
- Continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Season the apples with nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add pecans and Mix thoroughly and remove from the heat.
- Cool the mixture.
- Roll out each half of dough to 12 inches in diameter and about 1/8-inch thick.
- Fold one circle of dough in fourths.
- Carefully lift the dough and place in a 10-inch deep dish pie pan.
- Unfold the pie dough and spoon the apples into the pie shell.
- Place the second round of dough over the apples.
- Using a sharp knife, cut away the excess dough.
- Using your fingers, crimp the edges of the pie firmly to seal the dough completely.
- With the same sharp knife, make three slits, about 4 inches long and 2 inches apart, across the pie dough.
- Egg wash the top of the pie and sprinkle with sugar. Place the pie in the oven and bake for about 55 minutes or until crust is done and juices are bubbling.
- Serve warm or cold.