1 hr 45 mins
Pile all the apples on. This is more of the old fashioned deep dish pie like grandma makes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, quartered, and cored
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Perfect Pie Crust
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Cut each apple quarter in thirds crosswise and combine in a bowl with the zests, juices, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- 3Roll out half the pie dough and drape it over a 9- or 10-inch pie pan to extend about 1/2-inch over the rim. Don't stretch the dough; if it's too small, just put it back on the board and re-roll it.
- 4Fill the pie with the apple mixture. Brush the edge of the bottom pie crust with the egg wash so the top crust will adhere. Top with the second crust and trim the edges to about 1-inch over the rim. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust and crimp the 2 together with your fingers or a fork. Brush the entire top crust with the egg wash, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar, and cut 4 or 5 slits.
- 5Place the pie on a sheet pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until the crust is browned and the juices begin to bubble out. Serve warm.
- 6Perfect Pie Crust:
- 712 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
- 83 cups all-purpose flour
- 91 teaspoon kosher salt
- 101 tablespoon sugar
- 111/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening
- 126 to 8 tablespoons (about 1/2 cup) ice water.
- 13Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the flour mixture. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas. With the machine running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out on a floured board and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 14Cut the dough in half. Roll each piece on a well-floured board into a circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn't stick to the board. Fold the dough in half, place in a pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.
- 15Yield: 2 (10-inch) crusts.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Dish Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2784 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4785.4
- Calories from Fat 1971
- Total Fat 219.0 g
- Saturated Fat 110.2 g
- Cholesterol 577.8 mg
- Sodium 3606.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 680.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 56.0 g
- Sugars 305.6 g
- Protein 54.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
oranges, zest of