Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Daddy & I are huge fans of apple butter and pumpkin pie, so this recipe is a dream come true for us. And the shaped dough pieces really make this one stand out at get-togethers.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup egg white
- 2 teaspoons egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free condensed milk
- Using pie shell ingredients, blend together flour, sugar, & salt.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add egg white, vinegar, and water. Mix well.
- On floured work surface, roll out ¼ inch (or less) thick. Place in deep pie dish and trim overhanging edges. You will have extra dough left--set it aside for now.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using filling ingredients, combine apple butter, pumpkin, sugar, salt, & spices in bowl. Stir in slightly beaten egg whites. Gradually add milk & mix well.
- Pour into pie shell. Lightly brush exposed pie crust with egg white. Cover edges of shell with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While baking, use cookie cutters to cut shapes out of remaining pie dough. Brush tops of dough shapes with egg white & place in your own pattern on top of filling (I usually do hearts or stars). Remove foil from pie shell edges & return to oven for 15 more minutes until set.