Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Coffee isn't only for drinking! This unusual recipe from Nestle replaces cocoa with coffee powder which gives the strong aroma of your every morning brew. Use decaf coffee for your little ones
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup instant espresso coffee powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly butter and flour an 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- Beat brown sugar, butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Beat until well blended.
- Stir in espresso powder, flour and baking powder, mixing until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 mins.
- or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan; cut and serve dusted with powdered sugar.
Wow were these decadent. Strong coffee flavor with pockets of chocolate. We loved them. They were rich and moist. You certainly didn't miss the frosting. We enjoyed this treat very very much and will definitely make again. Made for Comfort Cafe SnowQueen Round 01/10 :)
Coffee and chocolate... a little bit of heaven right? I couldn't find espresso powder so I just used regular instant coffee, and in my oven I had to bake a few minutes longer than stated. I just finished "tasting" one still warm from the oven. Yummy!