1/1 Photo of Deep, Dark, Delicious Oxtail Stew
2 hrs 8 mins
Although I know my American friends do not favour "the extra bits" of an animal, you haven't eaten a deeply satisfying meat stew until you've tasted oxtail! It's such a flavourful meat that it needs little in the way of seasonings. Oxtail comes neatly cut up and packaged, it's clean, and it's oh, so simple to cook. I made it over the weekend, and to us, it's a special treat -- being popular, it's an expensive meat cut.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 kg oxtails, chunks (2 lbs 4 oz)
- 500 ml dry red wine (use 1 - 2 cups)
- 1 onion, large, cut into rough chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon flour for thickening gravy (we simply use Bisto)
- thyme, extra tomato, chopped parsley
- 1Rinse the oxtail chunks and, using a large stewpot, put them in with the onion chunks and red wine. Bring to the boil.
- 2Cover pot with a lid, turn heat to lowest. Check the liquid level now and then. You may need less than 2 cups red wine, or even more.
- 3Let simmer slowly for as many hours as it needs, until the meat is tender and almost falling from the bones.
- 4Pull pot off heat, and cool. If your kitchen is cool, leave it there until the next morning. If in doubt, keep in the fridge. Next day, scrape out the top white fat, and cut off some of the fattiest bits -- but oxtail is supposed to be rich, so do not try to remove much fat.
- 5About an hour before dinner put the stewpot on the hob again and bring to a simmer. Add salt (taste!), the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, ground cloves and tomato ketchup.
- 6Whisk either flour or gravy powder (Bisto) into the stew, and stir as well as you can until the sauce thickens slightly.
- 7Add extra seasoning to taste, as suggested. But oxtail is so flavoursome it really does not not many extras.
- 8Serve with sticky rice or boiled potatoes. One veggie such as green beans is fine, and grated carrot with orange juice is a great salad with this stew.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep, Dark, Delicious Oxtail Stew
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.4
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 330.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: