Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is off a King Arthur Flour bag. It says, "This rich chocolate cake is ultra-quick and simple to prepare. As it bakes, a delicious fudge sauce magically forms in the bottom of the pan; to serve, spoon the cake and hot sauce into a dish, then top with ice cream or whipped cream (if your diet can handle it!) Serve this cake hot (or warm) from the oven, or at room temperature; as the cake cools, the sauce thickens into an applesauce-like consistency."
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together first five ingreadients until there are no lumps.
- Add the water, vanilla, butter, and nuts. Slowly stir together until just combined (overbeating will make the cake rubbery).
- Pour into a lightly greased 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes. When the cake is done, the top will be set, and the bottom bubbly.
Delicious! My mother used to make a cake like this and it was always one of my favorites. I was happy to see the recipe and being a big fan of the King Arthur Flour recipes (they are all fantastic no fail recipes) I decided to try it. The ingredients were simple and the results were amazing! My family gobbled it up. Oh course, it's really great with vanilla ice cream to go with the yummy hot fudgey sauce at the bottom of the cake.