1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 5 mins
From Bon Appetit, October, 1996. A creamy, rich, and gorgeous dessert. What more could you want? Don't let the specific chocolate that Bon Appetit suggests scare you away from making the recipe. I use a 70% Cocoa Belgian chocolate that I get from Tuesday Morning (a discount store).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 2/3 ounces bar scharffen berger 70% cocoa bittersweet chocolate
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Scharffen Berger)
- 4 large eggs
- 1For crust:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F
- 3Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides.
- 4Blend cookies in processor until finely ground; blend in sugar.
- 5Add melted butter and process until well blended.
- 6Press crumbs evenly onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan.
- 7Bake just until set, about 5 minutes.
- 8Cool while preparing filling.
- 9Maintain oven temperature.
- 10For filling:.
- 11Stir chopped chocolate in metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth.
- 12Remove bowl from over water; cool chocolate until lukewarm but still pourable.
- 13Blend cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder in processor until smooth.
- 14Blend in eggs 1 at a time.
- 15Mix in lukewarm chocolate.
- 16Pour filling over crust; smooth top.
- 17Bake until center is just set and just appears dry, about 1 hour.
- 18Cool 5 minutes.
- 19Run knife around sides of cake to loosen. Chill overnight.
- 20For topping:.
- 21Stir cream, 6 ounces chocolate, and sugar in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- 22Cool slightly.
- 23Pour over center of cheesecake, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge and filling any cracks.
- 24Chill until topping is set, about 1 hour.
- 25Do ahead: Can be made 3 days ahead.
- 26Cover with foil and keep refrigerated.
- 27Release pan sides.
- 28Transfer cheesecake to platter.
- 29Top with chocolate curls.
- 30Let stand 2 hours at room temperature before serving.
- 31***Cook time does not include chilling overnight and the 2 hours cheesecake needs to sit at room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.9
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 176.0 mg
- Sodium 389.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 8.0 g