Chef #603588's Note:
Another recipe I am considering as a weight conscience birthday cake substitution. I'm not very big on the bittersweetness of dark chocolate, but the picture looks yummy and it's only 222 calories! The last 3 ingredients are for the frosting. NOTE: be sure to use organic unsprayed rose petals for the top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces beets, peeled and finely grated
- 4 ounces low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons strong black coffee
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Lightly spray an 8-inch springform baking pan with cooking spray.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, ground almonds, salt and baking soda, and set aside.
- 4Using a standing or handheld mixer set at medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar for 4 full minutes until pale and fluffy. On low speed, beat in the grated beets, followed by dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk and coffee, and beat until the batter is smooth.
- 5Pour into the pan and place in the middle of a hot oven and bake for 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted for doneness; it should come out clean. Bake for an additional 5 minutes if needed.
- 6Cool for 10 minutes or so in the pan and unmold onto cooling rack. Cool on a wire rack until cold.
- 7To make the icing, prepare a double boiler.
- 8Combine all the ingredients and gently stir until the chocolate is smooth. Stir occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- 9With the cake still on the wire rack, pour the icing liberally over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides. Transfer onto a plate or cake stand for serving and garnish with rose petals.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Dark Chocolate Cake from 'cook Yourself Thin'
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.0
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 63.9 mg
- Sodium 478.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 6.5 g