Recipe by yogi
Delicious chocolate cake from one of the Moosewood cookbooks. If my kids like it, I know it's good!
Top Review by ButterYummyButter
good recipe. doubled baking soda and got a good rise. (i made cupcakes not a cake.) thought the flavor and texture were nice-- like non-vegan. but it wasn't as chocolately as i imagined it would be. (even with the switch of using basalmic instead of cider vinegar.) the flavor was more like red velvet than a standard chocolate cake.
- 354.88 ml white flour
- 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml cold water or 236.59 ml chilled brewed coffee
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 56.69 g unsweetened chocolate
- 59.14 ml peanut butter
- 44.37-59.16 ml water
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Oil an 8" square or round pan and dust with sifted cocoa.
- Sift flour, cocoa, soda, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl mix oil, water and vanilla.
- Pour liquid into dry and mix till smooth.
- Add vinegar and stir briefly.
- Without wasting time, pour batter into pan and bake 25-30 minutes.
- For frosting: melt chocolate in heavy pan on medium heat.
- Beat together peanut butter, water& vanilla.
- Beat in sugar then add melted chocolate.
- Beat till smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.