Recipe by Irish Rose
I just made this today for Father's Day breakfast and we all loved it! It is from the Deen Bros. Cookbook and is truly wonderful! As they say, "it's a recipe worth waking up for."
Top Review by Galley Wench
5 BRIGHT STAR! Looks like Paula Deen did well in teaching her boys, this was very good . . . and easy too! Followed the directions with the exception of the cayenne pepper! We had 8 for breakfast so doubled the recipe. I used day old french bread in 9 x 13 pans-- was only able to get 8 slices in each pan. Thanks Rose for another great recipe!
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 -10 slices whole wheat bread or 8 -10 slices challah or 8 -10 slices French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degres.
- In bowl, whisk together the sugar and melted butter and spread the mixture in a large rimmed baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture and transfer to the baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until golden, turning halfway through baking.