Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandmother, DeDe, used to make this cake. It's warm, moist, spicy, and delicious.
Make and share this Dede's Oatmeal Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream or 6 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut flakes
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Place quick oats in a bowl and pour boiling water over the top. Stir and set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar and brown sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine flour and spices.
- Add cooked oatmeal and the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir until just combined.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 - 35 minutes.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over hot cake.
- Allow cake to cool before slicing.