Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandmother, DeDe, used to make this cake. It's warm, moist, spicy, and delicious.
- 1 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream or 6 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut flakes
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Place quick oats in a bowl and pour boiling water over the top. Stir and set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar and brown sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine flour and spices.
- Add cooked oatmeal and the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir until just combined.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 - 35 minutes.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over hot cake.
- Allow cake to cool before slicing.