Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
I always use this when I decorate cakes and I get many, many compliments on the wonderful taste. It is not that usual shortening-and-sugar-bakery-icing taste. If I am not using it to decorate a cake with, I use my all butter variation: Butter Cream Icing (Buttercream Frosting).
Top Review by jennyblender
I am on a mission to find the best frosting for my baby's birthday party...so I am going to be really hard on this recipe (that's why it gets 4 stars instead of 5). In terms of its ability to hold shape it gets 5 stars-for sure! And, yes, the flavor is not shortening-y which is great. The only "problem" I have with it is that it is super sweet...and that is coming from someone with a major sweet tooth. I did cut it with salt in the vanilla as suggested but it was still pretty sugary for me. Otherwise this is awesome! Thanks Marg....
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt (optional)
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and shortening then add vanilla.
- Add sugar a cup at a time beating on medium speed.
- Add milk 1 Tbls. at a time and beat on high until completely blended.
- TIP: To cut the sweetness I usually sprinkle some salt in the vanilla (so it will dissolve) before proceeding with recipe as instructed.