Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from TOH magazine. I take them out from the library and post the ones I would like to try so that I don't lose them.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, molasses, water, oil and egg.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, ginger and cinnamon; add to molasses mixture and beat until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a well floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8th" thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters of your choice.
- Using a floured spatula, place the cookies 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets.
- If cookies will be hung, usea a plastic straw to make a hole about 1/2 inch from the top of each.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Use straw to reoped holes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Decorate with frosting if desired. Let dry completely.
- Thread ribbon through holes.
- Times do not reflect chilling time.