Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The powdered egg whites act as a stabilizer and allows the icing to harden. Make certain to purchase only POWDERED egg whites, powdered egg whites are available in the baking section of most major super markets. This is wonderful to decorate Christmas cookies such a gingerbread cookies, you can also pipe it through a pastry bag. Add in food colouring to create colours if desired. I have usd this recipe many times, it is wonderful for anything you want to decorate!
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons powdered egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup water (room temperature)
- 2 -4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl beat all ingredients (except food colouring) with an electric mixer at medium speed until just combined and smooth (about 1 minute).
- Increase speed to high and beat icing until stiff peaks form, it will take about 3 minutes if you are using a heavy-duty stand mixer, and 4-5 minutes for a hand mixer.
- Beat in food colouring (if using).
- **NOTE** If you are planning to spread the icing instead of piping onto cookies, you might need to whisk in more water (a teaspoon at a time) to acheive the desired spreading consistancy.