Recipe by Dwynnie
This is based on a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Casseroles. It is a whilte lasagna and very tasty--a good non-meat dish for dinner, or even as a savory part of a brunch. I upped the seasonings and also made it easier--though it does take longer than the original, as I find that no-boil noodles don't cook enough unless they sit for a bit in the sauce before baking. This is a dish that needs to be made ahead. The cooking time includes the minimum refrigeration time.
- 1 (9 ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces fresh basil, cut chiffonade
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the artichoke hearts, pine nuts, half the garlic, ricotta, half the parmesan, half the basil, egg, and salt together.
- Whisk the broth and the flour together, then add the half-and-half. Cook in a saucepan over medium heat until it starts to thicken, then turn off the heat and add the remainder of the basil and garlic.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13x2 pan.
- Put 3 or 4 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Spread 1/3 of the artichoke mixture on top, and top with 1/4 of the remaining sauce.
- Top with 3 or 4 lasagna noodles and continue making layers--there should be 3 layers of artichokes and sauce.
- Top with the final lasagna noodles and the remainder of the sauce. Press gently on the top with a spatula to compress the layers.
- Pour the milk on top to just cover the top noodles.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan and the mozzerella on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour (this helps a lot with the no boil noodles).
- Put the dish in a cold oven and set the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and the sides are bubbly.