Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I started making my Banana Cream Pie this way, because it's so much prettier and if you don't need all six at once, by storing the extra pastry squares in a baggie, they stay fresh and crisp for the next day. Years ago I read about a prize winning pie that used this filling, it has become the basis for many a fruit tart - it is so easy and so good. This is a great dessert for a dinner party, you can prepare the parts ahead of time, construction only take a couple of minutes, and it looks so beautiful. With help from a few 'zaar friends you can try a Bananas Foster version.
- 1 pie crust (single crust, preferably homemade)
- 1 (6 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 -3 bananas
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream (DO NOT USE COOL WHIP, use 3/4 pint if you like a lot)
- 2 -4 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- PIE CRUST: Make your favorite pie crust, roll dough as you normally would but into a rectangular shape, cut six 3 1/2" - 4" squares and at least 18 - 1 1/3" squares (sizes are approximate they are prettier if you have a crimped cutter for the small squares I have a cookie cutter this size). Place squares on baking sheet, sprinkle the small squares with a little cinnamon sugar, bake about 10 minutes or until golden on the bottom.
- PASTRY CREAM: Make filling according to the directions on the box for pie filling, using half and half in place of milk, add vanilla; stir, chill until ready to serve.
- TOPPING: Whip cream with powdered sugar and vanilla, adjust amounts to your taste,chill.
- PUTTING IT TOGETHER: Place a large pastry square on each dessert plate, spoon on some pudding mix - if using all six at once divide evenly.
- Place about 6 banana slices on top of each square, top with whipping cream.
- Place 3 small pastry squares into the whipping cream, on point. TA DAH! Fast and beautiful!
- •BANANAS FOSTER VARIATION: Make pie crust, filling, and whipping cream as above.
- Chop some pecans.
- Prepare the bananas from Recipe #191028, use 3 Bananas and cut each banana in half length wise first, then each half into 3 pieces.
- And make Recipe #165874.
- PUTTING IT TOGETHER: As before - pastry square, then pastry cream, then spoon bananas with some of their sauce on top of the filling, then whipping cream, sprinkle with chopped pecans and drizzle the whole thing with Praline Sauce.
- Serve with coffee.
We enjoyed this for our dessert tonight. I love banana cream pie! Made for CQ 3 for the Ih?.
My family really enjoyed these. It was quick and easy to make. I made as written.
Loved this recipe! Very easy to pull together in a short time. Made as written. I did have a bit of toasted coconut and sprinkled on top. Yummy!!! Thank you so much for this delightful recipe! I will make this again. Made for 1~2~3 hits.